The Big Data Value Association AISBL (BDVA) is a fully self-financed non–for-profit organisation under Belgian law. The Big Data Value Association (BDVA) is the private counterpart to the EU Commission to implement the BDV PPP programme (Big Data Value PPP). BDVA has over 190 members all over Europe with a well-balanced composition of large and small and medium-sized industries as well as research organizations. BDVA is open to new members to further enrich the data value ecosystem and play an active role. These include Data Users, Data Providers, Data Technology Providers and Researchers. The BDV PPP was launched in 2014, but its operationalization has been especially pushed forward with the launch of the LEIT work programme 2016/2017 The objectives of the Association) are to boost European Big Data Value research, development and innovation and to foster a positive perception of Big Data Value. In particular BDVA aims at:
- strengthening competitiveness and ensuring industrial leadership of providers and end users of Big Data Value technology-based systems and services;
- promoting the widest and best uptake of Big Data Value technologies and services for professional and private use;
- establishing the excellence of the science base of creation of value from BIG DATA.
- The Association carries out acts, take steps and commit to all activities that are appropriate or useful in view of achieving its Objectives. This includes:
- collaborating with the European COMMISSION (including to establish a Public-Private Partnership, and to develop and implement a strategic roadmap for research, technological development and innovation in the Big Data Value and other ICT domains);
- developing strategic goals of European Big Data Value research and innovation and supporting their implementation;
- improving industrial competitiveness of Europe through innovative Big Data Value technologies, applications, services, solution
- strengthening networking activities of the European Big Data Value community;
- promoting European Big Data Value offerings and organisation;
- reaching out to existing and new users,
- contributing to policy development, education and technology ramification in the widest possible sense and addressing ethical, legal and societal issues
-> Download the Elevator Pitch here.
BDVA Governance structure:
The General Assembly (GA) is conformed by all the BDVA members (only Full members have voting rights). BDVA GA approves the general policy of the Association on the basis of proposals of the Board of Directors and gives recommendations to the Board of Directors for its application. The Board of Directors (BoD) is selected by the General Assembly (2-year mandate). The Board of Directors is in charge of reaching the objectives of the Association. It follows the resolutions, instructions and recommendations adopted by the General Assembly. The GA also elects the President, Vice President(s) and Treasurer. The Partnership Board (PB) is the monitoring body of the cPPP composed by a group of selected directors of the Board, and representatives of the European Commission. The Secretary General (SG) is responsible for the day-to-day administrative management of the Association with the support of the Deputy Secretary General and BDVA Secretariat.
BDVA Operational structure:
Task Forces (TFs) are the main instrument to develop BDVA activities and are established to take care of specific matters within the ‘Objectives’ of the Association under the authority of the BoD. TFs may focus on sector-specific or cross- disciplinary issues related to BDV. Find more about BDVA Task Forces here.