BDVA Valencia Summit held a new meeting of the Network of Big Data Centers of Excellence in Europe.
The main focus of the Center of Excellence (CoE) Network will be research topics, and how they can be transferred into relevant industries.
The initiators of this bold initiative already decided on the next steps: collect best practices and key achievements of each center, define big challenges, meet on regular basis, and align with other European initiatives.
EuDEco organised an interesting workshop on 1 December 2016 in Valencia, in the frame of the BDVA Summit, entitled Making the best of big data – How do data economy actors adapt their strategies to changing framework conditions in Europe.
In the introductory presentations, the representatives of two companies, working with big data, explained how they had to adapt their strategies to changing framework conditions in Europe (in connection with big data and data reuse), what challenges they faced when doing so and how these challenges could be overcome.
The Big Data Value Association advertised and granted a label for European Innovation Spaces to help drive forward Big Data adoption across all domains within European industry. At the BDVA Big Data Summit in Valencia, the first five i-Spaces were awarded with this new label.
European Innovation Spaces (BDVA i-Spaces) are one of the four pillars of the BDVA Strategic Research & Innovation Agenda. Innovation Spaces are cross-organizational and cross-sectorial environments
allowing challenges to be addressed in an interdisciplinary way and serving as European hubs for Big Data research and innovation activities.
The BDVA General Assembly held in Valencia on November 30th officially admitted 35 new members (some of them provisionally accepted in previous Board of Directors meetings):
- 10 Full members (3 Large, 1 SME, 3 Academia/Research, 3 Others)
- 25 Associate members (2 Large, 11 SME, 9 Academia/Research, 3 Others)
- 14 different countries: Austria (3), Belgium (1), Bulgaria (1), Denmark (2), Finland (1), France (5), Germany (2), Greece (3), Hungary (1), Italy (2), Norway (1), Spain (9), Turkey (2), UK (2)
BDVA officially welcomes to the Association the following members:
FULL Members (alphabetical order):
The Big Data Value Association celebrated its General Assembly last November 30th in Valencia, Spain. Among other important topics, the BDVA members were called to elect and renew over two thirds of the members of its Board of Directors, and to elect President, one Vice President and Treasurer (two-year mandate).
We are pleased to officially communicate the composition of the new Board of Directors of BDVA, and the new leadership team as follows:
- Laure Le Bars, Research project director at SAP (President)
- Edward Curry, Academic and Lecturer at Insight (Vice-President)
- Milan Petkovic, Department Head Data Science at Philips (Vice-President)
- Thomas Hahn, Chief Expert Software at Siemens (Vice-President)
- Tonny Velin, CEO of Answare, (Treasurer)
On Friday, 2nd December 2016, in the context of BDVA Valencia Summit, the Commission will present the topics related to Big Data Value PPP for the next call in April 2017:
- ICT-14: Big Data PPP: Cross-sectorial and cross-lingual data integration and experimentation
- ICT-15: Big Data PPP: Large Scale Pilot actions in sectors best benefitting from data-driven innovation
- ICT-16: Big Data PPP: research addressing main technology challenges of the data economy
- ICT-17 b: Big data PPP: Support, Industrial Skills, Benchmarking and evaluation
There will be the opportunity to present your ideas and brokerage with other people.